Tourist Railways and Museums

Don River Railway Museum - Devonport
Tasmanian Transport Museum - Hobart
The Wilderness Railway - Queenstown
Burnie Rail - Burnie
Tullah Tramway Preservation Society - Tullah
Ida Bay Railway Preservation Society - Southport

West Coast Pioneers Memorial Museum - Zeehan
Other Restored and Exhibited Locomotives


Don River Railway Museum - Devonport

The Don River Railway is a 4km, 3'6" (1067mm) gauge tourist railway and museum, located 3.5km west of Devonport in northwest Tasmania. Occasional trips are operated over Tasrail lines to destinations around the state. The collection includes restored station building and signal box, 20 locomotives, 30 carriages and over 50 wagons.
Where:
Don River, Devonport, North Coast.
Track: Short trip line from Don River Museum to Forresters Beach. Gauge: 1067mm (3'6")
Times:
Daily (except Christmas day and Good Friday) trains hourly from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm.
Contact:
Don River Railway, c/o Post Office, Don, Tasmania, 7310 Phone: (03) 6424 6335
email: donriver@donriverrailway.com.au

Locomotives

Number
Wheel
Builder
Build No
New
Scrap

Notes

 
0-6-0T
Fowler
 
1886
  Macqaurie Hbr.
No8
4-8-0
Dübs
 
1900
  EBR "Heemskirk"
A4
4-4-0
TGR
 
1891
   
CCS23
2-6-0
TGR
 
1924
   
CCS25
2-6-0
TGR
 
1924
   
H7
4-8-2
Vulcan
 
1951
   
M3
4-6-2
Stephenson
 
1952
   
M4
4-6-2
Stephenson
 
1952
   
Ma2
4-6-2
TGR
 
1957
   
Ma4
4-6-2
TGR
 
1957
   
U6
-B-
M.Moore,TGR
 
1958
   
V2
-C-
Vulcan, TGR
 
1948
   
X4
Bo-Bo
Eng Elec.
 
1950
   
Y4
Bo-Bo
TGR, Eng Elec.
 
1961
   
Y6
Bo-Bo
TGR, Eng Elec.
 
1961
   
866
Co-Co
A.E.Goodwin
 
1980
  similar NSW 48 class
DP22
Bo-Bo
TGR
       

Don Railway Museum Yard

Restoring a CCS Loco

Tasmanian Transport Museum - Hobart

The Tasmanian Transport Museum Society was formed in 1962. Trains operate on the first and third Sundays of the month. Occasional main line trips are also operated. The rollingstock collection includes 10 locomotives, 7 carriages, 10 wagons and 3 railmotors. The museum also houses a collection of buses, trolley buses and trams, as well as the restored New Town station building.
Where:
Glenorchy, Hobart
Times:
Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays, generally between 1:00 pm and 4:30 pm
Contact:
Tasmanian Transport Museum Society, GPO Box 867J, Hobart, Tasmania, 7001 Phone: (03) 6272 7721

Locomotives

Number
Wheel
Builder
Build No
New
Scrap

Notes

H1
4-8-2
Vulcan
 
1951
   
M5
4-6-2
Stephenson
 
1952
   
Q5
4-8-2
Perry, Clyde
 
1922
   
X1
Bo-Bo
Eng Elec.
 
1950
   
Y4
Bo-Bo
TGR, Eng Elec.
 
1961
   
DP16
Bo-Bo
TGR        
DP26
Bo-Bo
TGR
       

TGR M5 Pacific Loco

TGR 3 Axle Carriage

The Wilderness Railway - Queenstown

Public funding enabled the railway to be reborn in 2000 as the West Coast Wilderness Railway. The railway is now operated by the Federal Hotels group. A steam Dübs 0-4-2 tank loco and an ancient diesel are used on a 3'6" gauge track over the Mt Lyell mainline from Queenstown, through rain forest down to the port at Strahan. Strahan has sophisticated cafe society with Jet boat tours of Macquarie Harbour, while Queenstown is the more interesting with its mining remains and a pub on every corner.

Diesel hauled trains operate from Regatta Point (Strahan) to Dubbil Barrill, where it meets the steam hauld train from Queenstown. From October to March, two trains operate per day, allow a full round trip by rail. A bus connection to the other end of the line is available if a one way train journey is desired, or shorter return trips can be undertaken from each end to Dubbil Barril. The track uses an 'ABT' design track cog system to pull the train over the steeper gradient sections.

Contact: The Wilderness Railway, The Esplanade, Strahan, Tasmania, 7468
Phone: (03) 6471 4300 email: bookings@strahanvillage.com.au

Locomotives

Number
Wheel
Builder
Build No
New
Scrap

Notes

ABT 3
0-4-2T
Dübs & Co.
3730/1898 2000   now Oil firing
Diesel
C
Vulcan Drewry
2405/1953
2000
   

Wilderness Railway Dübs & Co. Abt 3 Loco

Train at Dubbill Barrill

Departing Queenstown

Inside Queenstown Station

Burnie Rail - Burnie

Burnie Rail operates charter and regular trips along the North-West Coast between Penguin and Ulverstone during summer, using articulated railcars on Tasrail track.
Where:
Emu Bay Railway Station, Marine Terrace, Burnie, North Coast
Track: North West Coast Tasrail from Penguin to Ulverstone Gauge: 1067mm (3'6")
Times:
Mainly Summer months. Phone: (03) 6431 1033

Locomotives

Number
Wheel
Builder
Build No
New
Scrap

Notes

DP13 B-B TGR       ex TGR Railcar
DP14 B-B TGR      

ex TGR Railcar


DP13 Railcar at Burnie

Burnie Rail Station

Tullah Tramway Preservation Society - Tullah

The Farrell Tramway operated from the isolated mining township of Tullah to Farrell Siding at Boco on the Emu Bay Railway. It was originally horse drawn, and in 1921 two Fowler 0-4-0 tank locomotives were introduced, both named after British Music Hall comedians of the day. The line closed with the opening of the Murchison Highway in 1962. A part of the trackbed is now under Lake Rosebury. Parts of "Wee Mary Wood" were used to restore "Wee Georgie Wood" to operation. The Tullah Tramway is a passenger tramway over remnants of Farrell tramway in township of Tullah.
Where:
Murchison Highway, Tullah, West Coast
Track: 1.6km, Gauge: 610mm (2'0")
Contact:
Mrs Anne Drake, PO Box 55, Rosebery, Tasmania, 7470
Times: September to April, plus by special arrangement Phone: (03) 6473 2228 (BH)

Locomotives

Number
Wheel
Builder
Build No
New
Scrap

Notes

No2
0-4-0T
Orenst & Kopp
718/1901
1918
xxxx
Magnet No2
 
0-4-0WT
Krauss
2640/1892
1907
1921
NW Coast
 
0-4-0WT
Krauss
5988/1908
1949
 
Don River
 
0-4-0WT
Fowler
16203/1924
1921
 
"Georgie Wood"
 
0-4-0WT
Fowler
17732/1928
1921
1946

"Mary Wood"


'Wee Georgie Wood' On Shed

Tullah Tramway 'Station'

Ida Bay Railway Preservation Society - Southport

The Ida Bay originated as a limestone carrying railway from Lune River Road to the jetty at Ida Bay near Southport. The trip is on the southern-most railway in Australia and has scenic bush views and historic sites of the old Ida Bay township and Jagers sawmill. The terminus has a protected swimming beach called Deep Hole
Where:
Lune River Station, Lune River, Huon Valley, 113km South of Hobart
Track: 6.8km, Gauge: 610mm (2'0")
Contact:
328 Lune River Road, Lune River, Tasmania, 7109 Phone: (03) 6298 3110

Locomotives

Number
Wheel
Builder
Build No
New
Scrap

Notes

No1
B Malcom Moore  
1940
  Diesel
No2
B-B         Tram Motor

Ida Bay Railway Loco No2 at Jetty

The Ida Bay Railway Train

West Coast Pioneers Memorial Museum - Zeehan

The West Coast Pioneers Memorial Museum commemorates the development of the area of Tasmania. The museum is located in the Main Street of Zeehan, and is open daily (except Christmas and Good Friday). Railway exhibits include photographs, locomotives and a variety of rolling stock from the once complex network of rail and tramway systems in the area, of both 1067mm (3'6") and 610mm (2'0") gauges. Exhibits include old photographs, a complete range of ore and mineral samples and working models
Where:
School of Mines building, Zeehan, West Coast
Contact:
West Coast Pioneers Memorial Museum, P O Box 70, Zeehan, Tasmania, 7469 Phone: (03) 6471 6225

Locomotives

Number
Wheel
Builder
Build No
New
Scrap

Notes

C1
2-6-0
Beyer
 
1885
   

Mt Lyell Abt No5 Loco

EBR No8 'Murchison'

Other Restored and Exhibited Locomotives


Mt Lyell Krauss Loco at Devonport

Dübs Loco at Savage River