Home Page

Rail Tasmania

Government

Sections

The Companies
Steam Locos
Diesel Locos
Stations & Stock
North East Dundas

Other Systems

2. Mt Lyell Railway
3. Emu Bay Railway
4. Tourist Railways

Navigation


Home Page



Main Page



Page Top


Worthingtons Workshop

1. Government Railways

About this Page

The Government Railways consist of the 3'6"; gauge operational main lines of the Tasmanian Government Railways/Australian National Railways/Tasrail and the historic 2'0"; North East Dundas Tramway. The network is a freight railway concentrating on container and logging operations using mainly high powered locomotives as bulk carriers between the shipping ports on the North Coast and Hobart. Note the various freight handling modes and the scenic countryside through which the railway passes.


Government Railway Lines

Line Branch Section Opened Closed Notes
North Main Line Hobart to Evandale 1876 Tas Main Line Co.
Evandale to Launceston 1876
Parattah to Oatlands 1885 1949
Hobart to Launceston 1890 to Govt 1890
Fingal Conara Junction to Fingal 1886 1988
Derwent Bridgewater Jn to New Norfolk 1887
New Norfolk to Glenora 1888 1952
Glenora to Russell 1909 1952
Russell to National Park 1916 1952
National Park to Maydena 1917 1952
Fitzgerald to Kallista 1936 1950
Apsley Brighton Junction to Apsley 1891 1947
Sorell Hobart to Sorell 1892 1926
Cadburys Claremont to Cadburys 1921 1983
West Main Line Launceston to Relbiah 1869 Launceston and West Rail
Relbiah to Deloraine 1871 5'3" gauge
Deloraine to Devonport 1885 3'6"; gauge
Launceston to Deloraine 1888 Last Broad Gauge
Devonport to Ulverstone 1890
Ulverstone to Burnie 1901
Burnie to Wynyard 1913
Wynyard to Myalla 1913
Stanley to Trowutta via Wiltshire Jn 1919 1990
Irishtown to Marrawah Tram Jn 1921 1963
Myalla to Wiltshire Junction 1922 1990
Chudleigh Lemana Junction to Mole Creek 1890 1992
Staverton Railton to Staverton 1914
Nietta Ulverstone to Nietta 1915
Melrose Don Junction to Paloona 1916 1963
Paloona to Barrington 1923 1928
Preolenna Flowerdale to Preolenna 1917 1931
Preolenna to Maweena 1924 1931
Marrawah Smithton to Marrawah 1919 1939 to Govt 1929
Marrawah to Mella 1935 1945
Ulverstone Ulverstone Wharf 1921 1964
East Scottsdale Launceston to Scottsdale 1889
Scottsdale to Branxholm 1911
Branxholm to Herrick 1919 1992


Steam Locomotives



C1 Loco at Zeehan Museum



CCS23 in steam at Don River



E1 in Meander Park at Deloraine



H7 Freight Loco at Don River



Q5 Freight Loco at Glenorchy


Ma2 Express Passenger Loco

Class Wheel Builder Built Numbers Line Notes
A 4-4-0T R.Stephenson 1868-1870 4 L&W Roundtop boiler
A 2-4-0 Sharp Stewart 1873 1 L&W To narrow gauge Al
A+ 4-4-0T Hunslet 1878 1 TML To tender loco
B+ 4-4-0 Hunslet 1884 3 TML
C+ 4-6-0 Dubs 1889-1890 4 TML
D+ 4-4-2T Dubs 1886-1887 2 TML
E+ 4-4-0 Hunslet 1873-1875 5 TML Originally 4-6-OT
F 4-4-0 Neilson 1878 1 TML Originally 0-4-2
A 4-2-2 TGR 1891 1 TGR ex broad gauge A5
A 4-4-0 Beyer, Peacock 1892-1902 8 TGR To Ab class
Ab 4-4-0 TGR 1907-1945 8 TGR Ex A class
B 4-4-0 Beyer, Peacock 1885-1890 15 TGR
C 2-6-0 Beyer, Peacock 1885-1937 28 TGR To CC, CCS
CC 2-6-0 TGR 1912-1916 6 TGR Mod C class
CCS 2-6-0 TGR 1924-1928 4 TGR Mod C class
D 2-4-2T Beyer, Peacock 1891-1908 5 TGR Tank & loco
DS 2-6-4T NZR, Price 1939-1944 8 TGR Ex NZR Wf class
E 4-6-0 Beyer, Peacock 1907 2 TGR
F 2-6-0 James Martin 1949 4 TGR Ex CR NFB class
G 4-8-2+2-8-4 VR, SAR, Clyde 1944-1950 14 TGR ASG. Some ex QR
H 4-8-2 Vulcan Foundry 1951 8 TGR
L 2-6-2+2-6-2 Beyer, Garrett 1912 2 TGR
M 4-4-2+2-4-4 Beyer, Garrett 1912 2 TGR
M 4-6-2 Stephenson 1952 10 TGR Some to Ma class
Ma 4-6-2 TGR 1957-1958 4 TGR From M class
P 2-6-2T Clyde 1921 1 TGR Ex Contractor NSW
Q 4-8-2 Perry, Clyde 1922-1945 19 TGR
R 4-6-2 Perry 1923 4 TGR 2 streamlined in 1937
T 4-8-0 Walkers Bros. 1921 6 TGR Ex SAR T class


Diesel Locomotives



ANR U3 Diesel-Mechanical Shunter



ANR V4 Diesel-Hydraulic Shunter



DP2, PT3 Trailer at Don River



Freight Train on St Marys branch



X2 Diesel Loco at Launceston


Za1 Diesel Loco at Launceston

Class Wheel Builder Built Numbers Line Notes
U -B- M.Moore,TGR 1958-1960 6 TGR Diesel Mech ex n.gauge
V -C- Vulcan, TGR 1948-1968 13 TGR First Tasmanian Diesel
Va -C- Vulcan, TGR 1962-1972 3 TGR Re-engined V class
W -C- Tulloch 1959 2 TGR First DHyd built in Aust.
X Bo-Bo EE 1950-1952 32 TGR Some to XA class
Xa Bo-Bo TGR 1961-1970 5 TGR Modified from X class
Y Bo-Bo TGR, EE 1961-1971 8 TGR First DEl built in Tas.
Z Co-Co GEC 1972-1973 4 TGR 3000HP loco
Za Co-Co GEC 1973-1976 6 TGR Last TGR locos
Zb Co-Co GEC 1987-1988 16 ANR Ex QR
Zc Co-Co EE 1988-1989 33 ANR Ex QR
830 Co-Co A.E.Goodwin 1980-1986 20 ANR Ex SAR sim NSW 48
DP Bo-Bo TGR 30 TGR Railcar


Stations and Rolling Stock



St Marys Station After Closure



TMLRCo West Coast Carriage



Cement Loader at Hobart



Goods Wagons at Hobart



Loading Logs at Avoca


Coal Wagons at Fingal


The North East Dundas Tramway (1897-1932)



Williamsford Haulage
Description

The Two Foot Gauge (610mm) North East Dundas Tramway was worked by Tasmanian Government locomotives. It went from railway yards in Zeehan travelling north-east, past Montezuma Falls (104m) on a 49 metre bridge, to the Ore Bins at Williamsford. Williamsford featured a twin 1.6km cable haulage railway (1899), from the Hercules Mine on top of Mt Read. There was also an aerial bucketway from Williamsford to Rosebery, remnants of which can be sighted on the approach road.

The track was pulled up in the 1940's, however there is an interesting walking track of approx four hours return from the site of Williamsford station to Montezuma falls. The line had some interesting engines to travel on the light track, which had curves of 1.5 chains radius and a ruling gradient 1 in 27.5. The first five miles were opened in 1897, Montezuma Falls Station to Williamsford were opened in 1898. The line was closed in 1932.

Locomotives
Number Wheel Builder Build No Built Scrapped Notes
G1 0-4-2T Sharp Stewart 4198/1896 1896 1899 Exploded 16/05/1899
G1B 0-4-2T Sharp Stewart 4619/1900 1898 North Richmond, NSW
G2 0-4-2T Sharp Stewart 4432/1898 1900 North Richmond, NSW
H1 0-4-0WT Krauss 2180/1889 1896 1951 ex TGR
H2 0-4-0WT Krauss 2589/1892 1898 Strawberry Farm, Hillwood
H3 0-4-0WT Krauss 2459/1891 1899 xxxx Victoria 1906
H4 0-4-0WT Krauss 4080/1899 1899 xxxx Catamaran Colliery 1926
J1 2-6-4-OT Hagans 436/1900 1900 1949 unused 1928
K1 0-4-0+0-4-0 Beyer Garrett 5292/1909 1909 West Highland Railway, Wales
K2 0-4-0+0-4-0 Beyer Garrett 5293/1909 1909 1932 Broken Up Zeehan Yards



J class model at Zeehan Museum


K1 Loco at Zeehan

J Class Hagans Lokomotivfabrik of Erfurt (Hagans Patent) (0-6-4-0)

This locomotive came about because of a 1890 requirement for a high powered locomotive to work the steeply graded sections of the line. The TGR Chief Mechanical Engineer was sent to Germany with a design concept for a locomtive based on a patent by Hagans, which involved coupling the two rear driven axles to the three front driven axles via a flexible linkage.

The loco arrived in parts in June 1900, and when assembled could haul a failed Beyer Garrett plus full load. It became the heaviest 2 foot gauge locomotive in the southern hemisphere at 41.5 tonnes. The loco was found to be too heavy for the tracks, and spent most of it's life shunting Zeehan yards and doing the short trips up the Comstock Mine branch line.

It remained derelict in Zeehan yards after 1928 and had the boiler removed before scrapping. With a boiler pressure of 180psi the locomotive could haul 100 ton trains up 1 in 25 gradients and around the 1.5 chain curves that existed on the line. For further reading go to The Light Railway Research Society of Australia. There is also a book called "Tasmania's Hagans" by Geoff Murdoch, priced at $15.50 plus postage.

K Class Beyer Garrett (0-4-0 + 0-4-0)

The first two Beyer Garrett locomotives in the world, K1 and K2, arrived in January 1910. After the units were decommissioned in 1932, both were left for scrap in Zeehan yard. In 1947 K1 and parts of K2 were returned to the Beyer Peacock company museum at Manchester in England for restoration. The British National Rail Museum at York inherited the loco after Beyer Peacock closed. It has now been regauged to 1'11.5" and is working on the Welsh Highland Railway.