ClassDB 01 (4-6-2)
DB 03-10 (4-6-2)
DB 03 (4-6-2)
DB 03-10 (4-6-2)
DB 18 (4-6-2)
DB 19 (2-8-2)
DB 41 (2-8-2)
DB 44 (2-10-0)
DB 50 (2-10-0)
DB 85 (2-10-2T)
Other Pages2. German Steam Branch
3. German Elec Old
4. German Elec New
5. German Diesel
6. Swiss Locos
7. Swedish Locos
8. Norwegian Elec Old
9. Norwegian Elec New
10. Norwegian Diesel
11. Finnish Locos
Mainline Steam Locomotives of the German Railways
About this PageInformation about the Mainline Steam Locomotives of the German Railways
The two cylinder Class 01 was the first standard express locomotive for the Deutsche Reichsbahn. Until 1937 the only suppliers were Borsig and AEG; other companies joined later. The DR had a total of 231 machines.Locomotives from number 01-102 onwards received front bogie wheels with a diameter of 1000mm.
Stronger brakes permitted an increase of in smoke chamber niches behind the large smoke deflectors, were shifted into the middle of vehicle for greater visibility. Some of the locomotives were fitted with the substantially smaller and less effective Witte smoke deflectors and were not adapted.
In 1950-1951 the D.B. equipped 5 machines (01-042, 046, 112, 154, 192) with turbo-feed pumps and Henschel mixing preheats of the Heinl design. In addition combustion chambers were built into the boilers. These locomotives can easily be differentiated by the unusual form of the smoke box. In 1963 all these locomotives were superseded with exception of 01-192.
Starting from 1957, the D.B. equipped 50 locomotives with new welded high pressure boilers as used on the 01_10 class. Outwardly the modified locos differ from the original by the large diameter low chimney and by the absence of steam domes. A new mixing preheat was built into the smoke box and the old sliding bearings were replaced with anti-friction bearings. Changes at the cylinder block, front frame and piping give the locomotives a more aggressive appearance.
The Class 01-10 had the aerodynamic bodywork removed by the DB after WW II to become the Coal fired class 011 and the Oil fired class 012. Initially a series of 250 three-cylinders machines locomotives were planned. The locomotives were intended for fast service with modern passenger trains. By the outbreak of the WW II only 55 locomotives were supplied by Schwartzkopff. Some of the locomotives had full streamlining, which was soon deleted due to problems with combustion air supply and maintenance accessibility. The cancellation of orders left a large number of intended operating No's remained vacant.
All 55 locomotives of the class 01-10 survived the WW II. After 1945 the rotten linings were removed and any small damage was repaired. At this point the specialised steel used in the boilers showed signs of bad fatigue. New spare welded boilers and combustion chambers were ordered, with production by Henschel and installation in Braunschweig works. In 1959 locomotive 01.1100 was first fitted with oil auxiliary firing and later, together with 33 more machines, with oil main firing. Together with the locomotives of class 10, the oil fired 01.10 locomotives provided for heavy express trains.
From 1930 the class 03 locomotives were built as a lightweight version of the class 01 for routes limited to 20 tonnes axle load. Boilers and cylinders were smaller and the riveted frameworks were simpler. 03 123 onwards had the pumps shifted to the middle of loco and from 03 163 onwards the front bogie wheels were changed to 1000mm. Locomotive 03 175 received Lentz valve gear with 03 154 & 193 receiving a part and/or a full lining. Until 1937 the D.R. fielded 298 locomotives of this class. From 1962 the D.B. in Central Germany had all remaining machines equipped with mixing preheats.
The class 03.10 locomotive was planned as an upgrade of the class 03 with full streamlining. Until 1941 only 60 machines were delivered due to the war. Originally built by Borsig of Berlin Krupp and Krauss-Maffei had soon became involved. Only 45 of the class survived WW II and as with the class 01.10 the full streamlining and engine apron were removed. The D.B. acquired 26 working locos and the remainder underwent reconstruction from 1957. Compression testing of the boilers showed 03 1046 to have burst briefly before.
The fairings were also found to be in a very bad condition and were all removed before 1950. As with class 01.10 boilers fatigue was noticed. Krupp received an order for new welded boilers with combustion chambers which were built in Braunschweig Works. The locomotives now resembled the class 01.10. Behind the large diameter chimney only the throttle and steam dome were visible. Sand was carried in two containers alongside the boiler. After the modifications all the machines were stationed in Hagen/Westfallen and in 1966 were superseded there by dieselisation. Operating No's were: 03 1001 1004 1008 1009 1011-1014 1016-17 1021-22 1043 1045 1049-51 1054-56 1060 1073 1076 1081 1082 1084.
The Royal Bavarian Railways (Koniglich Bayerish Staats Bahn) K.B.St.B. class S3/6 is regarded as one of the worlds most beautiful locomotives and is very popular. Maffei supplied 71 locos from 1908 to 1918 with a wind cutting front to the cabin. The S3/6 locomotives were very economical machines with extraordinary running qualities. WWI repatriation locomotives went to France as ETAT class 231 and to Belgium the remainder staying with the German National Railroad.
A special use for the S3/6 was the luxurious Rhinegold express. In the summer of 1960 the last locomotive with a wind cutting front to the cabin 18 478 was superseded from the German Federal Armed Forces at Ulm. It was despatched to Ulm Museum in 1960 and then transferred to Lindau in 1962. There it was given an expensive restoration by Swiss engineer Lory and placed in the Luzern Transport Museum in 1966. Loco 18 451 is in the German Museum in Munich.
Another series of 18 machines with flat cabin fronts were delivered from 1912 to 1913. They differed from the others in several details. Driving wheels were increased to 2000mm diameter. The stroke of the high pressure cylinders was increased to 670mm and thus better adapted to the low pressure cylinder. The boiler center was raised to 2930mm to accomodate the larger wheels and the wheel base was increased. Tenders were of the type 2'2 T32.5 with a front bogie and two fixed rear axles - thus the larger wheel base of the locomotive was balanced by the shorter wheel base of the tender. All 18 locomotives were taken over by the National Railroad.
The second procurement period of S3/6 locos extended over the period of 1923-30. The first delivery from Maffei covered 30 locomotives which were in service from 1923-24. From 1927-28 Maffei supplied another 20 locos and in 1930 supplied only 2 locos. Tradition steeped Maffei had been hit by the world recession so the last series of S3/6 were built under license by Henschel in 1930-31. Two locomotives of the 18.5 class are preserved. Locomotive 18 505 was with BZA Minden in 1963 and 18 528 which was acquired in 1963 by Krauss Maffei and set up in Munich-Allach.
The remarkable class 19.1001 was a V8 locomotive having four V2 engines, one for each driving axle. The wheel arrangement was 2-8-2 (Mikado). 19.1001 was originated by Fredrick Witte, head of testing and development for the DR (German State Railways). The concept was first discussed in the DR in 1933 and plans drawn up in 1935. The detail design was done by Richard Roosen of Henschel & Son. It was delivered to the DR in July 1941.
With the class 19 new concepts in building and design were investigated and tested on a steam engine. Following already existing electric locomotives with individual axle drive Henschel designed a steam engine with which each individual drive axle was driven by a steam motor. Previous steam engines had been built as two-cylinder machines in V arrangement. After an initial lack of success in test runs when the locomotive was used from 1943 in regular express train service it then exceeded design expectations.
In October 1944 19.1001 was seriously damaged during an air raid on Hamburg. It was moved to RAW Braunschweig and stayed there until the end of the war. In August 1945 the locomotive was brought back to Henschel repaired and after one test run between Kassel and Wabern was shipped to the USA in October 1945. It was sent to Fort Monroe in Virginia for testing and inspection and in 1950 was moved to Fort Eustis in Virginia and scrapped there in 1952.
In 1936 Schwartzkopff supplied the class 41 as the first fast goods locomotive. It soon soon became obvious the loco was good for universal use for moderately severe work. A redeveloped chassis was paired with the excellent boiler from the class 03. From 1936-41 a total of 366 locos were delivered from nearly all German locomotive factories. After 1945 approx. 220 machines remained in West Germany where they were used in all regions. The Boil Pressure was reduced from 20 to 16 kp/cm^2 to avoid boiler damage. Accelerated retirement began in 1966 for the locos that had not received new boilers.
At the beginning of the 1950's the 41 class showed fatigue in the boiler steel. From 1957-61 99 new locos were delivered with welded boilers identical to those on the class 03.10. Changes were made to the front frame which gave the locos a powerful and pleasing appearance. Oil main firing was fitted to 40 locos. The DR in Central Germany equipped a large part of the fleet with new boilers of different design and fitted the new Knorr preheaters. The class were known as "Ochsenloks" - "Oxen Locs" due to their use on cattle trains in WW2.
After a first order of 10 locos two further locomotives followed in 1932. Large scale production commenced in 1937. Until 1945 approx 2000 machines were supplied for use at home and abroad. A number went to France and remained there after WW II. In 1950 the railways equipped locos 44 239 241 242 244 & 246 with new combustion chambers and mechanical stokers. In the same year 44 433 475 629 1174 & 1210 likewise received new combustion chambers and mixing pre-heaters. From 1955 32 locos were converted to oil main firing. The DR in Central Germany proceeded in a similar way. Coal Dust firing was fitted to 20 locos. In 1968 numerous machines were still in use with the original setup. They were affectionately known as 'Jumbos' due to their size.
Two more locos which should had received the Serial No's M 02 1004 and 1005 were assigned to the 44 class. The two were built for comparison purposes. Despite considerable design input the locomotives were not satisfactory. Expensive boiler and fire box damage was obvious after short working lives and so the Boiler Pressures were reduced to 16 MP. Loco 44 011 was decommissioned in the mid fifties and thus 44 012 came as a unique piece to the VES-Museum of the the German National Railroad.
* refers to Loco 45 003 Tender T29 which had a mechanical stoker.
Standard War Loco "Kreigslok"
Designed as WW2 Standard "Kreigslok". Simplified construction development of class 50. Last retirement from service 1963.